Stopping To Smell The Roses
On this recent companion trip, I was asked to accompany one’s family member back to her home out east. What started out as a straightforward itinerary, flying there and back in a single day, transgressed into a test of patience. Around 2am, I was awoken by a message stating that our flight was delayed by over an hour, only to subsequently have another message update the status to a minimal 15 minute delay. Not an ideal start to the journey, but 15 minutes was hardly a delay in my eyes. I met my companion and we made our way to the small Duluth airport. Since our flight was originally supposed to be the first flight of the day, there were only a few people waiting in line to check in bags at the unattended desk. I hopped in line while my companion waited on a nearby bench. As time passed, 10 minutes turned into 20 minutes and there was no sign of any airport staff. After 30 minutes, people began shifting nervously, anxious they would not be able to drop their bags in time. I was calm, not new to the workings of a small airport, and mentioned that someone will come to help soon enough as many of the roles are filled by the same person in smaller airports such as this one. Patience test number 1: check. Passed with flying colors.
After making our way through TSA screening, we found our way to the cafe to grab a quick bite for breakfast. The woman working the register was asking everyone for their patience as she was the only person working and would also be the cook. No problem. Test of patience number 2: check. Hardly even a test.
As we ate our breakfast, our flight was delayed to 9am, originally scheduled to depart at 7:45am. Soon after, another update, delayed again to 11:30am due to weather and low visibility. With this delay, we would miss our connection but were able to move to a later flight. A bit inconvenient, but not necessarily a problem. Because one thing that can be said for certain: we don’t control the weather. At this point, many of the other awaiting passengers were scrambling to find other ways to reach their destination. I thought: the weather is improving, clouds are clearing, we should be on our way soon. Oh how wrong I was. Flight: CANCELED.
After consulting with my companion’s family, we made the decision to rebook on the next available flight departing the following afternoon. The next day, I watched the airport status closely, hopeful as all flights were departing. With some extra time on our hands, I suggested we do a little sight-seeing. My companion and I had talked at length the day prior about all sorts of flowers so I suggested we visit the Rose Garden before lunch. Though the sky was still overcast, we walked through the garden, stopping to observe each type of rose, noting its color, fragrance, and name. It was a much welcomed pause and something that made the journey more enjoyable for us both. We decided to wrap up by having lunch at Northern Waters Smokehaus - a must visit if you enjoy smoked fish, especially salmon and trout.
Everything seemed to be in order; flights were departing, the sky was clear, we would be boarding in 15 minutes and in the air shortly. Our patience had paid off. Or so I thought. Then came the dreaded announcement: flight delayed. A harmonious groan could be heard throughout the gate. Here we go again. This time thunderstorms in Chicago continued to impact flights and O’Hare called for a ground stop. We were told it was lifted shortly thereafter and that our flight would only be delayed by 90 minutes. People frantically queued in line to rebook missed connecting flights. As I stood in line, I could only help but laugh to myself. Test of patience number 3 was wearing on me as I shook my head in disbelief. Only one flight remained to get us to our final destination on the east coast. Halfway through the line, it was made clear that we would miss any flight out east. At this point, I had to admit defeat, and gave up on Duluth, Chicago, and United. I was done. I consulted with my companion’s family again and we collectively decided it would be best to avoid further delays and to opt for a direct flight leaving Minneapolis. Thankfully, some family was still in town and she was able to travel back home with them.
All in all, what was initially thought to be a simple trip was thwarted into a two and a half day adventure after countless delays and cancellations. Our patience was tested, but what did I learn? Sometimes things don’t go the way we plan. We can’t control the weather. Small airports are convenient but not always efficient. And lastly, when life hands you delay after delay, stop to smell the roses.
Note: I’d like to give a huge shoutout to all of the staff at DLH airport. They handled the chaos and frustration with incredible grace. Francis - you rock!